Prior to our meeting during the course registration period, please prepare a list of what courses you intend to take for at least the next semester. You should confirm that these courses are in fact being offered during the semester in question and that you have already satisfied the prerequisites. You can either use the "Plan of Work" feature on MyPack Portal, email me the list, or bring it written out.
What do physics majors do after graduation? Here are some links to information which looks beyond the "grad school in physics" option.
Looking for a science-related summer/campus job?
Instructions for Recommendation Letters
So that I can effectively advocate for you, please follow the instructions below.
Make sure that I know enough information about you to write an effective letter. These can be either hard copy or email if I don't know them already:
- your legal name (if it's not what I call you), year, major(s)
- a copy of your transcript (printout from MyPack Portal is fine)
- a copy of your personal statement (or other application materials)
- what classes did you take from me?
- any special academic awards/accomplishments?
- any special non-academic awards/accomplishments (particularly if relevent to the mission of the program)?
- how does the program fit into your long-term goals?
- any other pertinent information about yourself which I might be able to address
Make sure that I have enough information about about the program to be able to write an effective letter. These can be either hard copy or email:
- list of all programs with deadlines and instructions (web vs. paper, whether I should mail or give to you)
- information about what the program cares about (i.e "scholarship for scientists with artistic ability and red hair" or "PhD program in applied beekeeping" if it's not obvious from the title of the program)
- for paper submission: all required paper forms and pre-addressed envelopes (no stamps required, I can give you official NCSU envelopes)
Please send email reminders as the deadlines approach, and I will send you email confirmation as I submit materials to the programs. (Online applications will probably send this confirmation directly.)
Finally, please keep me posted about whether you were successful in your applicaton(s), and what your experiences were with a particular program. This will help me to advise future students looking for similar opportunties.